Thursday, April 7, 2011

"It's your way or the highway"

So obviously being a military wife comes with its ups and downs.  I have a husband who is gone for a year in a war zone at times, while others he's gone to the field for weeks, or another state for a month.  He misses out on moments in our daughters life.  He misses first words and first steps, first crushes and first heartbreaks.  He puts his life on the line and for what?  To be told come April 15th he may not get a full pay check?  To be told that he has to report to duty without pay?  To now suddenly have to worry about not being able to provide for his family?  Last night while channel surfing I came across Obama talking about the budget plan.  My first thought was finally I'll get some facts.  My next thought was wow this man has screwed himself.  Not only did he keep his mouth shut tight about the military, but he also put full blame on congress saying "its not your way or the highway".  He is, correct.  Its HIS way or the highway.  Congress has come to agreements on the budget plan, he has rejected them.  This morning my poor sick husband comes in from sick call and tells me that he rejected the plan congress worked through the night to come up with.  If he wants to be picky, fine, but instead of making my husband, who fights to protect everyone in this country, give up his pay, why don't you give up yours?  I cant even begin to count the number of times I have said this.  If the government shuts down, they wont go without pay, we will.  I have a friend who is pregnant (due any time now) and she was told that if a government shut down occurs, the military hospital is frozen which means no one is there.  What is she suppose to do if she goes into labor?  How about those who live off post?  Obviously the ones who live on post will be safe from certain bill collectors (they wont turn off our power and water thank God), but what about those who pay rent, electric, gas?  Not everyone is understanding and not everyone cares for the military.  It was put out that everyone should contact their Billy collectors and inform them of whats going on.  Yea that phone call went over real well.  We have two bills outside of USAA (for those who don't know that is a military bank, fairly certain they will be understanding of the car payment not getting paid or the insurance) and my husband has talked to one of them while paying a bill a few weeks ago.  The woman had to contact her superior who then had to go up to the highest person.  No one knew what to do.  All they said is to just cancel it if it happens and find some way to pay it.  OK...so lets see...pay 90 dollars for a bill or put that towards groceries for family...hmmm...but if we don't pay that bill we'll get slammed with late fees because guess what?  They wont be that understanding.  Most places don't have something set up for a situation like this.  And you know a lot of people say well then that's why you should have savings.  Most of us are a one income family.  Our spouse is on the lower end of the food chain causing most to live pay check to pay check.  Diapers don't grow on trees (unless you get cloth which from now one every baby I have is wearing g diapers just because of this situation), formula doesn't magically appear out of thin air, and if you cant afford groceries for fresh fruits and veggies, then you cant afford the jar stuff either.  If your on WIC will they have the money to keep those checks working?  We don't know and as far as saving go, I put money in there that should pay a few bills and get us groceries but it cant last a month.  Its enough for missing one weeks of pay, after that we're screwed.  We cant afford to put more then 10 dollars a month back, and that's not a lot.  Some people will say then the non working spouse needs to get a job.  OK great, so my pay check goes to child care.  Awesome, so basically I get to get out of the house and work my ass off just so that all of the money I make goes to socializing my kid even though I can do that for free by taking her to the play center.  I love how people who aren't in this situation think.  I also love how so many people aren't preparing for it and keep saying it wont happen, they'd never let the military go without pay.  Well you live your fairytale life and I'll keep trying to live in the real one.  I hate to admit it, but the shit is about to hit the fan and when it does it will be a day to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment