Friday, March 28, 2014

The Way I Eat

I eat what is called Paleo, which stands for Paleolithic or Caveman diet.  I started eating this way because I have hypothyroidism and developed a gluten intolerance.  My very good friend who is also Paleo started it in hopes of putting her thyroid into remission which had also become my hope for myself as well as her.  We started off doing a Whole30 after Sir E was born.  It was rough, nothing but fruit, veggies, and meat for every meal.  You seriously have to get creative if you dont have Well Fed or Well Fed 2 the cook books that go along with the book It Starts With Food which is the Whole30.  After our 30 days were up it seemed so much easier to know what kind of Paleo eater I was going to be.  Lady L has gluten issues and dairy issues, so for her sack and mine, we kept out those two things completely.  Instead of milk we use Almond milk and on the rare occasions we want to eat a sandwich we go with Udi's Gluten Free Bread (AMAZING).  From there I looked at what else seemed to bother my children and my husbands bellies.  Sugar was a huge kicker for Lady G.  It caused attitude problems, she was arguing lashing out, back talking, and all around in a bad mood, but once sugar was removed her attitude totally changed.  For my husband it was anything and everything processed and dairy as well though he refused to admit it.  When we took out things like Taco Bell, and all forms of junk food from the store (Hamburger Helper, Mac & Cheese, anything Great Value and GMOS) he stopped having what were symptoms of leaky gut.  Now when he falls off the wagon and eats even something small (like a snickers bar) he is running straight to the bathroom and all I say is I told you so.  We do very well though this week was a bad one for us.  Every once in a while we will have a week like this and sugar sneaks its way in there.  (I bought donuts...but the yuckiness was so worth it!)

There are different types of Paleo Eaters.  There are the, Im on a new fab diet, the Paleo when I can afford it or have time for it also called the on again off agains, and then there is us.  We are (for the most part) strict Paleo Eaters.  Now I do have cereal in this house and I do have sugar in this house (my sugar I would be willing to bet unless you are a health nut is better than yours).  I have cereal that is organic GMO free and low sugar for my kiddos to have on days that mommy had a very rough night with Sir E (he is only 3 months).  But most often I make eggs, bacon, sausage, paleo pancakes (sugar comes from an apple, or banana), sweet potato hash, the list goes on.  We eat good.  Before breakfast I am trying my hardest to make sure I work out.  Gets my metabolism going for the day and I need to work out.  For lunch we usually have whatever remains of the night befores dinner.  Leftovers get eaten in this house.  If we have none which can happen, then we eat healthy sandwich meat, veggies, and fruit.  Some times I throw shrimp in the cast iron skillet with veggies and that is our lunch.  And some times just to mix it up we have hot dogs (very healthy hot dogs).  Dinner meat and veggies then fruit for dessert.  Now this sounds boring to most of you.  Your thinking I eat steamed everything with no salt, no pepper, no seasoning!  Uck!  The HORROR!  You are wrong.  I have salt I use BUTTER!  I eat BACON tons of IT and I use BACON GREASE IN MY COOKING!!!!  IT SEASONS MY CAST IRONS!!!!  WHAAAAA????  You say.  Bacon is not bad, uncured, sugar free, nitrate free bacon is not bad.  Butter is not bad.  Grassfed clarified butter (also called Ghee) is not bad.  Its good for you and my God does it make your food taste amazing.  As for salt?  I use sea salt.  My meat?  Anything from free range chicken, to grassfed beef, to wild caught salmon.  Yummo.  My grocery bill?  Well we are working on that.  We are finding that buying in bulk is the key but we still have to work on it.  Its worth is though.  Our kids are healthy and happy.  They love their food.  Do you have any idea how wonderful it is to be told at every meal "Mmmm Mommy I love this".  We dont often fight about finishing whats on our plates.  My kids eat veggies, veggies they have never even heard of they will give it a try.  For instance, Lady L found her grilled Bell Peppers a little on the wild side, but B asked her nicely and so she gave it a go.  The green ones she spit back out, but the yellow ones she seemed to enjoy.  Point is she tried them without a fight.  And do you know what their favorite things as of now are?  Fish and smoothies.  Smoothies made with fruits, avocados, spinach, and coconut milk.  As long as Lady G doesnt notice that its green she loves it.  We started eating this way because of allergies, but after learning more about it we eat this way because its how are bodies are suppose to eat.  We take in real good.  Does this mean we have no good treats like ever?  Nope.  I still make cookies for a special treat, or cupcakes, or brownies, maybe once a month, but the difference is now they are made with almond flour, coconut flour, and fruit or syrup/honey for a sugar.  Now they are so much better for us while still seeming to be something bad.  My kids dont demand fried foods.  They point at candy and say ew candy!  Because they know its bad for them.  I love the way we eat and for everyone who thinks its just some fab new diet or that we dont get to eat anything good, I say get the book, read it well, and learn about what your really putting into your body.  I bet you'll find that a whole lot of things change when your food does.

Goodnight All.

No comments:

Post a Comment