Monday, December 8, 2014

Little Girls

When I first found out that Lady G was going to be a girl, I was terrified.  I knew nothing about little girls.  I had always been a tom boy, a guys girl.  I liked playing in the dirt, wearing overalls, refusing to conform a wear anything but a sports bra until I was nearly sixteen (I developed breast in the third grade as an fyi).  My favorite color was not pink, pink was not in my wardrobe.  It wasn't until the ninth grade that I started wearing make up (my cousin dolled me up at the end of gym class one day) and doing girly things wasn't an interest.  I told people not to get me pink things for her.  I didnt want pink to be her color.  I said no to the big bows, no to the pink, no to everything the screamed IT'S A GIRL!  And then she came.  She was pink all over, soft skin, gorgeous big eyes, and though I said no to laying her on my stomach, she was laid right there on top of me.  She looked right up at me and smiled. 

I was terrified to touch her.  After all the nurses had left I stared at her in her little plastic bed and asked my mother if I could hold her.  My mother laughed and told me "Yes!  She is yours!  You can do whatever you want with her."  From then on out my world became pink.  I still didnt over do it like some mothers do.  Occasionally she had the headband with the bow, but it was never over the top.  We pierced her ears and I snuggled her close at night enjoying her sweet smell, her soft little pink skin, and those gorgeous big eyes.

As she grew she acted like most toddlers.  Any toy was a fun toy.  We collected pink toys over the years and pink blankets.  Our home was slowly filled with things that screamed girl, but it was also filled with toys that screamed child.  She had legos galore of which she loved.  She had books in all shapes and sizes.  Over time she began to request Hot Wheels to which she loved as well.  When Lady L came I didnt bother to say no pink.  We where given a pink bath tub (which Sir E used too).  Lady L loved all her sisters old toys but as soon as she was old enough to pointed and bounce up and down she wanted the Hot Wheels.  She loves her cars so much she even refuses to share them at times with her siblings.

As Lady G continued on her path of growing into a little person her likes kept changing.  The little girl I had tried so hard to keep pink from now demanded it.  Dress up clothes in pinks and purple, princess wands and crowns, it all had to be hers.  Minni Mouse was her idol as well as every Disney Princess known to man.  She wanted me to fix her hair, to put her in dresses, and buy Hello Kitty.  Her love of girly things grew and grew.  Baby dolls, barbie dolls, a doll house, and clothes for her babies.  She had turned into a little girl full blown and it seemed like it happened over night.

Lady L has followed suit though her love for her dear Hot Wheels has never waved.  She now wants to play mommy like sissy and dress up to be a princess.  They both often ask me "Do I look pretty?" once they have dolled themselves up.  I tell them yes very pretty. 

But dont let the pink and purple fool you, do not let the glittery shirts blind you, they are more than just pretty little things.  The go out in the backyard only to return caked in mud.  They dig for buried treasure, hunt for deer like daddy, and as of late have been requesting toy guns.  They wear their pink safari hats with pride as they walk about the yard on an adventure, The Beast in tow of course.  They fall, they get bumps and bruises, scrapes and cuts, they roll around with each other, tackle one another to the floor, squealing with glee.  They are rough and tough little things.  They are my sweet little girls and I would not trade them for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment